Monday, March 31, 2008

IIT/IIM syndrome...

Coming from Bokaro, I have been very close to the IIT/IIM aspiration of the country...to an extent that anybody who didn't get through was considered as being useless!
It has been a much discussed question - What makes these IIT or IIM graduates so ..., ..., ....? These attributes are both good and bad.
I have heard people saying that they are very snobbish, think too high of themselves, get too much of attention etc. Except for in the matrimony market, where I too feel they are over valued and their degrees should not be weighed against the respect of a woman; I believe, they deserve to be proud of what they are. The logic is simple. But to understand that, one needs to have sat through the IIT-JEE and the CAT.
I have taken both and therefore, I know that it's sheer intellectual masturbation that one goes through those hours of examination! Your vital cause of existence changes, it's a life changing experience which can put you inside or throw you outside one of those revered campuses. Once you have raised yourself to that level, you ought to be different and better be one! The world looks upto you, not without any reason. Once you join the majestic Indian Institute of Technology/Management, the bar is raised, so you further strive for excellence. And even if you are not the best on campus, life there takes you to a different level altogether. And then the common man cannot question - 'Why do they get paid so highly?'. Because in many cases, the common man will not have the intelligence to understand even that.
Even otherwise, if one bothers to read through some statistics of the enormous number of living beings in India who take these exams, and the amount of time & money that they spend in coaching themselves, you would realise that for most, this dream is larger than life. It's not mere education that happens at these campuses, your ability to live a good life gets shaped. I can confidently say so because I have been close to many such souls. For some, I thought it was madness, for others, it was brilliance! I have seen them withdraw from the rest of the world for more than 2 years sometimes, and the only thing that drives them there is their dream!

Though, many of them, with utter humility say that it's just one amongst others, I refuse to believe so... Professionally, they ought to stand apart by every measure and most of them, that I know, do.

Hence, it pains to see the ramifications of the government regulations in favour of the so-called lower castes. I don't know what to call it..but the country is certainly heading for a conscious suicide by doing so... If the gold is not pure and of good quality, polishing wouldn't ever help. Somebody who has never won a state level game, can't head for the Olympics, right?? If only I could do something more than protesting against it! I can only pray that those who enter those gates by virtue of caste and not of merit, may please realise that they are getting that seat by displacing many deserving candidates and hence they better work really hard towards delivering an equally sound future for the country.

I forgot to mention above that the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore also stands in the same league of pride & prejudice and is internationally one of the best for science graduates who wish to pursue research.

1 comment:

Deepanshu said...

awesome...
I totally agree...
I am a 1st year student at IIT Delhi and having gone through the ordeal I can understand.